Hungry, but not that hungry, or maybe want to eat something easy, simple, and not so fatty? This is the right recipe for you! The Syrian Fatteh is a delicious combination of healthy ingredients that will pamper your tummy. For all vegetarians, this is the right meal for you! And for the rest, you can definitely add some meat or chicken on top of it.
Situated on the eastern shores of the Mediterranean Sea to the south of Turkey and west of Iraq, Syria lies in the middle of the Levant and the country’s cooking is a great example of its regional cuisine. The Syrian kitchen shares many famous dishes, one of which is the Syrian Fatteh considered as a famous national dish. Just follow the ingredients and the direction because this meal fits everyone, even if you’re vegan or vegetarian.
- 3 pitas, cut into wedges
- 1¾ cups (275 g) chickpeas (canned or cooked), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (225 g) plain yogurt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini paste
- ⅓ cup pine nuts, toasted
- Chopped parsley or cilantro
Steps to follow
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F.
- Put the pita wedges on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, until lightly browned and crispy. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Put the chickpeas in a small pot along with 100 ml (½ cup) water and simmer over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, until the water has mostly absorbed and the chickpeas are heated through. Season with salt and remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, put the yogurt, garlic, cumin, lemon juice, tahini paste, and a pinch of salt in a large bowl and whisk until thoroughly combined. Whisk in a little water at a time if the mixture is too thick, until a desired consistency is reached.
- Break up the toasted pita wedges a bit and arrange them in an even layer on the bottom of a deep serving platter, bowl, or casserole dish. Top with the warm chickpeas, then the yogurt sauce. Sprinkle with pine nuts and parsley or cilantro and serve with additional pita or pita chips.
And don’t forget, you can add meat or chicken on it if you like! Try it out and enjoy your meal!