10 Activities for Outdoor Lovers in Dubai
While most of the region suffers from extreme cold weather, Dubai’s winter is the season where residents and visitors are best able to enjoy nature. While most people know of Dubai as a shopping capital and unstoppable party scene, the city has much to offer for outdoors-lovers. Here’s a list:
1. Freshly Ground Sounds: A non-profit initiative to create a community and platform for spreading independent acoustic sounds across venues in the UAE. Basically, a live acoustic gig outdoors, where all you need is a blanket and some coffee. The venues are randomly picked, making it a great experience to enjoy the fresh air with beautiful sounds.
2. Wall Climbing: While there are plenty of climbing walls located across the UAE, The Wall located near the World Trade Center is considered to be the destination for climbers as it is also the highest outdoor climbing wall in Dubai. You’ll find a speed wall, overhangs and lead routes that vary in difficulty, ranging from grade 4 to grade 7.
3. Dhow Cruise: Cruising down Dubai Creek is a novel experience. Enjoy your dinner set against the backdrop of Dubai Creek’s mesmerizing lights, with music and a tanoura dance show. Hop on board and enjoy an unforgettable evening where the height of opulence combines with a heartwarming sense of Bedouin tradition.
4. Hot Air Ballooning: Whilst this activity might take you up, up and away from the Emirate, the breathtaking views of the desert near Al Ain in the early mornings are definitely worth it. You can catch the first rays of the sun as it rises over the undulating dunes.
5. Desert Safaris: This is one of the best ways to explore the outdoors and meet other people, as well as finding out a little bit more about the Emirati culture. Safaris generally last for half a day and can include an overnight stay in one of the Bedouin tents.
6. Sandboarding Safari: Travel across the desert by 4WD and hit Dubai’s sand dunes. You’ll experience the sheer exhilaration of one of the most popular sports in the desert. This is an unforgettable experience you will definitely enjoy.
7. Picnics: Simple yet sweet. The city has a wide variety of lush public spaces, including Safa Park, Mushrif Park, Zabeel Park, and Jumeirah Beach Park to name a few. They feature BBQs, children’s areas, walking tracks, sports areas and other amenities. Most of them also offer special needs facilities. A perfect day in the sun for the entire family.
8. Outdoors Yoga: It’s no coincidence that many yoga postures take their names from nature. Salute the sun and not the air-conditioning vent. The discipline is held outdoors to feel the sun on your skin and get in tune with the environment. Though Dubai is home to many indoor yoga studios, the temperature is finally perfect and many instructors take their classes outdoors by the beaches or parks.
9. Dubai Miracle Garden: Featuring over 45 million blooming flowers, the Dubai Miracle Garden is filled with state-of-the-art landscaping features. As the world’s biggest flower garden, its objective is to cater to visitors, yet with a positive impact on the environment, aiming to reduce carbon footprints. Housed in the garden is an array of flora and floral features, like flower huts, a castle, flower falls, an umbrella pathway and many more.
10. Dubai Seaplane Flight: Enjoy a thrilling water take-off, and then soar around the city’s gravity-defying skyscrapers such as the Burj Khalifa. View the archipelagos of Palm Jumeirah and The World and gaze down at the bustle of Dubai Marina, Jebel Ali, Port Rashid and more. A thrilling ride that will have you gliding over the city’s most iconic structures.
WE SAID THIS: Don’t miss “Dubai Then and Now“, a photographic look at the rise of a city built on skyscraping ambition.