Things You Need to Know About Dental Plans Before You Get One

Oral health is very essential for our overall well-being, but it is something we all put aside until a toothache hits us, or we realize that we need a crown repair surgery. People think that brushing their teeth twice a day and gargling with a mouth freshener twice a week fulfils all the oral care criteria. Sorry to burst your bubble, but that isn’t true!

Oral care also needs regular dental checkups, but people skip it because it can be very expensive. Unfortunately, proper health care plans don’t cover the expenses of dental care. For that, you need dental insurance! You might feel like avoiding dental insurance because you think that you will never break your teeth or will never have a toothache. Believe me, things can go wrong anytime without prior notification so, it is always better to acquire dental insurance that suits you the best.

However, getting dental insurance is not as easy as buying your favourite chocolate from a supermarket. We have come up with some technicalities you need to be aware of before purchasing a dental plan:

Don’t wait for a problem

Most people wait for a problem to erupt before deciding to buy an insurance plan. Most dental plans don’t cover the expenses of the issues that date back to the period before you purchased the policy. For instance, if your root canal’s requirement started before the dental plan’s timing, you will have to pay the amount of the whole procedure. In case you don’t know, it can cost you around $2000. So, it is always better to buy dental insurance before the problem catches you.

Plan coverage amount

The first aspect to consider is what your dental plan is covering? Most plans do cover 100% of the cost of preventative care, which includes regular cleaning, oral examination, and x-rays. That alone can cost you around $200 yearly. So, a dental plan saves you from spending this hefty amount! Additionally, some dental plans only cover 60% of the preventive care cost, and you have to pay the rest of the 40%. It is always good to compare dental insurance plans of various companies to see who is providing the best coverage.

As far as basic restorative care is concerned, including fillings, removal, and re-cementing, most dental insurances cover 80% of the cost. While in the case of major restorative care like a root canal, the dental plan will cover only 50%. It might seem a bit annoying that you have to pay for the remaining 20% or 50%, but it still saves a lot of money when you need such restorative services.

ind you, dental plans have nothing to do with cosmetic dentistry or orthodontia services. If you need braces or want to align your teeth, you will have to pay for this on your own.

Limit to coverage

As compared to health insurance, dental plans are a much less blow to your budget, whereas health insurance covers a major percentage of your health-related issues, dental insurance doesn’t. Dental insurances come up with an annual coverage limit ranging from $1000 to $1500. Do not forget that you will need to pay a deductible amount of $50 to $100.

Dentist of your choice

If you already know a trusted dentist, and you don’t want to go somewhere else, then you should check which insurance policies he/she is accepting. In case your dentist isn’t taking your selected plan, then you might have to change your dentist, which can be difficult. It is always better to check through the company’s website to determine if your dentist is in-network or not, if you don’t want to undergo a dentist change.

Now you know what you should consider before buying dental insurance.

WE SAID THIS: Go ahead and buy dental insurance. Oral care matters!

Comments
Loading...
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time