By Elaine E.
Music is a universal language that many people use to relieve stress or for leisure purposes. Many schools in the UAE can benefit from incorporating music education into their curriculum. Children of different ages and abilities can experiment with different instruments. The brilliant thing about music is that anyone can take part. From the instrument to software editing, the software produced by Amidio gives students access to software that the big producers use. The big producers use so called DAW software which can be quite expensive and often costs a couple hundred dollars, sometimes even more.
Music helps the students to socialize, improve their grades, and learn a new activity at the same time. Students who are gifted find it easier to participate in this activity, while those who don’t find it easy after encouragement and practice are able to participate. There are many positive outcomes of including music in the curriculum.
The Importance of Music Education in Schools
Music education is a fun subject that breaks class monotony and improves the overall education and the lives of students. The following reasons explain the significance of music education:
- Children can improve and accelerate language development through music education. This is due to the fact that music is closely related to everyday conversations and speech. This also helps them to develop good reading skills by recognizing how different parts of speech are aligned. Music helps the part of the brain that supports language and reading to grow. If schools had state of the art music equipment like provided by hifi components this could urge the child to take a real keen interest in music and music production for their future as well.
- Students can be bombarded by different issues and situations, such as declining grades or fights at home, which can cause stress and depression. Music is beneficial both emotionally and physically. It relieves stress, thus preventing physical consequences such as deteriorating health. Taking music classes helps the brain to relax by synchronizing with the beats; this way a student is able to concentrate on other subjects.
- Music education will help students develop their cognitive abilities; for example, students who play musical instruments find it easier to solve mathematical problems as compared to those who don’t. Music stimulates the brain hemisphere that is responsible for solving complex problems such as algebra and geometry. Mathematics and music are similar in the sense that beats play per seconds or minutes.
- Music that is taught and played in school is obviously interesting and uplifting; this promotes creative thinking among students. This is not only beneficial to their academic life but it also helps them become innovative in the field of science and technology. They are also able to find solutions to problems in society. In the classroom, they find it easy to answer questions, even providing multiple answers to a single question.
- Some tunes and lyrics keep playing in our heads long after the song has ended and often we are able to remember the situation linked to this song. This shows the power of music in boosting memory. Music is important to students because it enhances information retention. Students can improve this by playing music that has a positive message or by playing musical instruments.
- Music in schools requires students to work in groups or with partners; this teaches them to form social relations and to be able to work in teams. Students who play in bands, duets or orchestra work together during practice to perfect their acts.
- Music is one of the activities used to foster leadership qualities among students. For example, band leaders gain confidence and discover ways of coordinating between people with different personalities.
Different Ways to Encourage Students to Take Music Classes
Both teachers and parents have the responsibility of encouraging students to consider new experiences by taking music classes for instance.
Responsibilities of the Teachers
- It is necessary for teachers to realize that students have different learning abilities. This will help them set different goals according to the potential of individuals as opposed to setting collective goals. An alternative to this is having the students set their own goals and suggest how they will accomplish them.
- Teachers can make the music lesson interesting by encouraging dancing and movement especially if the students sit for long hours. This will eliminate numbness and passive learning.
- Students will participate more in an activity if they feel that they are working towards a reward. The school curriculum should include music tests at the end of the school term. This way students will be committed to this subject and will attend all practices.
Responsibilities of Parents
- Parents can encourage their kids to learn music by showing their support by buying them musical instruments and books to practice at home for example.
- Most parents want to control the choices of their children, however, they should let them pick the musical instruments and activities they are passionate about.
- Parents could help their kids learn the dynamics of musical instruments by practicing together. This way they are able to learn by imitation.
- Children are often assigned chores at home, however, by replacing this with music, it will be more thrilling to the kids. By not doing chores, the kids end up learning even without realizing it.
It is without a doubt that music has both physical and mental benefits to students. It is also inexpensive and fun, which makes it appealing to the learners. Practice and positive reinforcements are some of the ways to encourage music learning.