Whether you’re from the Middle East or not, the region is still fascinating. It’s rich in culture, history, traditions, science, stories, and so many more interesting things. You might think you know all about it in regards to the history, the origin, the facts. However, if you’re seeking a quick fix of education, here’s a scoop of fun facts you probably didn’t know about the Middle East!
Fun facts about the Middle East
- Centuries ago, Turkish women could divorce their husbands if they didn’t provide them with enough coffee! If this isn’t a great idea for all none-morning people, I don’t know what is.
- Business days in the Middle East are from Sunday till Thursday, unlike anywhere else in the world.
- Hamsters originate from Syria, as a zoologist found 11 new hamsters. Two of them bred, and almost all living hamsters in the world right now are their offsprings.
- The Middle East is referred to as “the crossroads of the world,” as it connects three continents: Asia, Africa, and Europe.
- The country with the world’s largest Muslim population is Indonesia, Asia, not the Middle East.
- Around 60% of the population in the Middle East are under the age of 25. You can expect a lot of economic prosperity.
- The majority of Arabs are Muslims, but the majority of Muslims are not Arabs.
- Arabic is the world’s 5th most spoken language after Chinese, Spanish, English, and Hindi. Be proud of your first language!
- Psychiatric hospitals were first constructed in Baghdad and Cairo in the 8th and 9th centuries CE.
- Lebanon’s mountainous geography and Mediterranean coastline make it possible to ski in the morning, and visit the beach in the afternoon. Talk about a seasonal vacation!
- Five musical instruments originate from the Middle East: the harp, lyre, zither, drum, and the tambourine.
- The name ‘Muhammad’ is thought to be the most common name in the world, given to 150 million men/boys. How many Muhammads do you personally know?
- In 2/3 of the Middle Eastern countries, more women than men attend universities. Power to the women!
- In Kuskoy in Turkey, people talk to each other using a whistled language.
- As a man, you can be arrested in Iran for wearing shorts. Obviously, summer there must be hard.