The Egyptian Museum has been home to the world’s most extensive collection of ancient Egyptian antiquities for more than 118 years! The Egyptian Museum was built back in 1901 by the Italian construction company Garozzo-Zaffarani to a design by the French architect Marcel Dourgnon, and it’s one of the largest museums in the entire region.
The Egyptian government established the museum in 1835 near the Ezbekieh Garden and later moved to the Cairo Citadel. The museum changed its home several other times till it reached its final destination now in Tahrir Square.
To celebrate the home of the world’s largest collection of Pharaonic antiquities, we’ve compiled some vintage pictures of the Museum throughout the years!