20 Post-Election Thoughts from an American Abroad
Yup, this just happened and Donald Trump is my actual president. As an American living abroad, here are some of the thoughts I had.
- OH MY GOD WHAT!
- Well, I guess now I know that I really did want Hillary to win…
- So glad I don’t vote in a swing state. I would be feeling SO guilty right now if I was from Michigan or Wisconsin and had voted 3rd party (even knowing she would still have lost).
- Well, at least I don’t have to deal with it in person…
- BUT OH MY GOD WHAT!?!?
- Aw man, Evan McMullin didn’t win Utah?! I was SO hoping that would happen. Would’ve been hilarious.
- Wait, McMullin won 1.7% in VIRGINIA? How did THAT happen?!
- Can I just officially be an émigré already? I mean I haven’t lived in the US for a decade at this point and it’s not like I support what’s happening there.
- Gary Johnson is batshit crazy but I wish he had won 5% nationally, just to have a 3rd party in the debates next go-around.
- Well, Hillary has the majority of the popular vote. For the moment anyway. Not that it matters at this point.
- I guess it has to get worse before it gets better…?
- I mean we may as well hit rock bottom now and then do something about it. If Hillary had won we’d be stuck with the status quo for a while longer, and let’s be honest, the status quo in America right now is NOT something we want to hang on to.
- Chances are Trump is gonna do something to get himself impeached before his term is over, anyway.
- Or, on the flip side, maybe he’ll actually do something useful…? I mean, he is the unknown in this equation. And beholden to no one.
- Yeah we’re screwed.
- Okay, so he won, but not with a majority. 48% of people who actually voted. That’s not even half.
- Can we fix this system already?! This is the second time in recent memory we’ve elected a president who didn’t actually win the popular vote! (Remember G.W.?)
- …clearly I’ve done a great job of ignoring this election. I really, really tried!
WE SAID THIS: Let me know how you feel in the comments section…