Abu Dhabi is one of the most amazing cities to live. It’s safe, comfortable and everything just flows so easily there and despite the huge number of nationalities and backgrounds that call the UAE’s capital home, Abu Dhabians have a common understanding of what it’s like to live there.
Here are some of the things anyone who has been living long enough in Abu Dhabi will relate to:
1. There’s been constant construction work on at least two streets/neighborhoods since you were born
2. The weather going anywhere below 30 degrees qualifies as winter
3. You fiercely correct anyone assuming that you live in Dubai for the 12784th time
4. Your two main pastimes are shopping and eating
5. You get cold tap water only in December and January
6. You have sales/buy-one-get-one-free offers year round
7. Finding a cab/a place on a bus during rush hours is unfathomable
8. You have to speed up to at least 200 kmph between each radar. You just have to.
9. You avoid Cornish on weekends at all costs because you don’t want people to think you’re a “7ashkal”
10. You use local words mid-sentence because they’re just perfectly expressive – “6arr”, “kash5a” and “6afraneen” just to name a few
11. The amount of time you spend somewhere depends on how much money you put for Mawaqif
12. You break out in Khaliji dialect in front of your family back home and you get this reaction
13. Ever dreamed of a HUGE party where literally EVERYONE in the city is invited? Yup, that’s the UAE’s National Day (AKA Eid Al Etihad)!
14. No matter how much you love your hometown, Abu Dhabi will always have a special place in your heart
We complain a lot about how boring it can get there and we love returning to our homelands for vacation. However, once you’ve lived in it, the love you have for Abu Dhabi will remain unshakable and you will always think of it as one of the most beautiful cities on Earth.
WE SAID THIS: Don’t miss You Know You Live In Dubai Marina When….